General Skilled Migrant Visa (Subclass 189/190/489)
More than one subclass
Take points based test
Apply for a suitable program
Migrate to Australia on PR visa
Subclass 189/190/489 are all visa programs for skilled and intending migrants. Subclass 189 is a
skilled independent - permanent visa. Subclass 190 is skilled nominated - permanent visa. And
subclass 489 is a skilled regional - provisional visa. All the three subclass are options to obtain
PR status in Australia as a general skilled migrant. Visa subclass is selected in accordance with
the skills, requirements, and eligibility.
For 189/190/489, an applicant has to qualify the point-based test. Post that, submit an expression
of interest and upon receiving an invitation, apply to any of the above points based subclasses.
The points in these subclasses are calculated for factors like age, English language competency,
overseas employment in nominated skilled occupation, education qualifications at the time of
invitation, Australian education, nomination/sponsorship, etc.
There's more to the General Skilled Migration Program. You can Get in touch to get detailed
information on the same.
Find out which of these subclasses fits your profile really well. Check eligibility first, then take
the next steps forward.
The threshold points to qualify for this visa are 60 and the applicant requires meeting the points
as per the invitation received. Points are awarded on the basis of the factors listed below;
Age:- The age of the applicant should be between 18 -49 years. Minimum points 15 with a
maximum up to 30 can be granted.
English language:- The applicant should prove that he/she meets the English language of
competent level by submitting the test results before the application is lodged. One would meet
the English Language threshold if they score TOEFL iBT scores of 12 in listening, 13 in reading,
21 in Writing, 18 in speaking or PTE Academic scores of 50 in each band or IELTS 6 bands in all
the components or if holds a valid passport and is a citizen of one of the following countries:
United Kingdom, Canada, New Zealand, United States of America and Republic of Ireland.s
To score points on English requirement, an applicant must meet proficient or superior level as
mentioned in below table. English Language test results are required supporting these claims at
the time of application.
Nominated occupation:- The applicant should nominate an occupation on the Skilled Occupation
List (SOL) for subclass 189 and subclass 489(if sponsored by a relative) or on state occupation
list that is eligible for a state nomination as per states occupations list.
Skill Assessment:- It is mandatory for an applicant to get a positive skill assessment for a
nominated occupation before the EOI is lodged.
Points can also be earned on the following eligibility criteria:
- Overseas Experience points (Experience outside Australia):- The applicant for
the Australia Skilled Immigration Program can claim points for having three/five/eight
years of overseas experience in the nominated occupation in the last 10 years. Minimum
points 5 with a maximum up to 15 can be granted.
- Overseas Qualification points (Qualifications gained outside Australia):- The applicant
for the Australia Skilled Immigration Program can claim points for recognized
qualifications which is at a level of Bachelors or higher or PhD. or holding qualifications
that are assessed by the assessing body during the skills assessment. Minimum points 10
with a maximum up to 20 can be granted, according to the level of qualification AQF
Diploma or Bachelors /higher or Ph.D or a qualifications recognized by the assessing
body during the assessment. The relevant assessing authority for your nominated
occupation can usually determine whether your qualifications are of a standard that is
comparable to a relevant Australian qualification.
- Australian Experience:- The applicant for the Australia Skilled Immigration Program can
claim points for having worked in Australia for one/three/five/eight in one of the
occupations listed on the SOL, in a full-time paid employment. Minimum points 5 with a
maximum up to 20 can be granted.
- Australian Study:- The applicant for the Australia Skilled Immigration Program can claim
additional points for Australian study for a qualification which is a course of at least two
Academic years or more. Minimum points 5 with a maximum up to 10 can be granted.
- Partner Skills:- The applicant for the Australia Skilled Immigration Program can claim
points under partner skills, if the partner satisfies the basic requirements of age, English
language ability, qualifications and skills assessment result. The partner should obtain
positive skills assessment from the relevant assessing authority and competent English.
Spouse nominated occupation should be from the same occupations list as per the primary
applicant. Partner skills will lead to 5 points.
- Professional years/ Credential community language:- Professional year programs for at
least 12 months done from Australia in the last 4 years and Credential community
language qualification points if you have been assessed as a Para professional translator
by NAATI will lead to 5 points.
- Sponsorship points:- The applicant would require a successful, valid nomination from
state regional area or sponsorship from family members living in designated areas of
Australia. This sponsorship will lead to 10 points.
Sponsorship by a State/Territory:- Applicant’s nominated occupation should be listed in the
respective state SOL and he should meet all the eligibility criteria as set by the state. The client
has to commit to live and work in this state for initial 2 years of stay in specified regional areas
Specified Regional Areas:
- You must have lived in regional Australia or a low population growth metropolitan area
for at least two years if you were nominated for this visa by a state or territory
government. These areas are listed by postcode and state on the table below.
Regional and low population growth metropolitan areas:
Sponsor by a relative:
Designated areas of Australia:
- The applicant should be sponsored by an eligible sponsor who is either an Australian
citizen or an Australian permanent resident, or eligible New Zealand citizen residing
(under a special category visa) in Australia.
- Relation: The relation between the sponsor and the applicant can either be a brother,
sister, parent, Non-dependent child, Uncle, Aunt, Nephew, Niece, first cousin, relative of
the applicant’s spouse, de-facto spouse inter-dependent partner or Half and step-relatives.
- Location: The sponsor should be living in a designated area of Australia before lodging
the application and also should prove that he /she will continue to live in the designated
area till the decision is made regarding the application.
- Assistance: The sponsor will have to sign a sponsorship undertaking stating that he/she
will provide required assistance to meet the applicant’s financial and social obligations
for the period of 2 years to make the applicant’s living comfortable in Australia.
You must meet certain health requirements. The health examinations you need, will depend on
your personal circumstances, including your country of citizenship, time spent in another country
during the last five years and your intended activities in Australia. The results of your health
examinations are generally valid for 12 months.
This applies to you and any dependent family members included in your visa application.
You must meet certain character requirements. You must provide a police certificate from each
country you have lived in for 12 months including all short visits or more during the past 10 years
after you turned 16 years of age.
This applies to you and all the dependent family members listed in your application, who are
above 16 years old, whether they are migrating or not.
Debts to the Australian Government:
You must have no outstanding debts to the Australian Government or have arranged to repay any
outstanding debts to the Australian Government before this visa can be granted.
You can include the following people in your visa application:
- Your partner (married or de facto)
- Yours or your partner’s dependent children
- Other dependent relatives.
These family members must meet the requirements for including family members in your
application. The application must include documentary evidence of their relationship to you.
Your family members must be able to show that they meet health and character requirements.
Dependent visa applicants, who are above 18 years are required to meet at least Functional
English requirement through study where medium of instruction is in English or by proving
functional English requirement or by paying visa second instalment charges towards English
You can add your partner and dependent children to your application before the decision is made
on visa application. But for 489 visa, you need to add dependents before this visa application is
What the visa lets you do?
This visa allows you and your family to:
- Stay in Australia for up to four years
- Live, work and study in a specified regional area of Australia .
- Travel in and out of Australia while the visa is valid.
- Provides a pathway to a permanent visa in Australia.
*Not eligible for any benefits on this visa.
Application Fees for the Australia Skilled Immigration Program
- Skill Assessment fee – AUD$300-AUD$2200.
- State Sponsorship fee- Varies from AUD$200- AUD$600 (if applicable).
- Education Assessment (if applicable) – AUD$60 – AUD$300.
- Medicals/Registration– case specific.
- DIBP Application Fee: AUD$3520.00.
- Dependent below 18 years:AUD$880.
- Dependent above 18 years: AUD$ 1760.
- Spouse English Requirement Fee: AUD$4885 (This fee is applicable only if the spouse or
the dependent above 18 years is unable to prove the functional English requirement)
- Provisional visa Extended pathway visa fee: AUD$320;Dependent above 18years:
AUD$160;Dependent below 18 years:AUD$80.
Visa Process Time Lines
First Canadian Inc. Process
Our Full Service & Processing Includes:
- Document Checklist.
- Complete Migration Processing & Application Processing.
- Forms, Documentation & Petition Filing.
- Guidance on acquiring the specific Police Clearance Certificate.
- Assistance with Medicals.
- Updates & Follow up with the DIBP.
- Visa Interview Preparation – if required.
*These services are provided at an additional cost
First Canadian Inc. Department
- We offer documentation processing, application & filing services for those interested in immigrating.
- Our Immigration Processing Department ranks amongst the best in the world. A strong
research team ensures that cases are evaluated and processed as per the latest updated
rules and regulations.
- Our experience at having filed thousands of applications over the last 16 years has
resulted in a strong & comprehensive case study database.
- Our offices across the Indian Subcontinent and Overseas make us the only consultant in
India with a widespread presence, because of which we file the highest number of
application from India. First Canadian also employs and works with regulated & accredited
immigration lawyers in our own offices in London & Canada and partner offices in
Australia and New Zealand. We have the highest success rate in India & over 50% of our
business comes from referrals & word of mouth.
- They are five countries that currently have a point based immigration programme. Point
based immigration is a good option for those who want to work & settle overseas.
- There are a number of categories under which an applicant can file his/her application.
You can either apply independently /a relative sponsor you / an overseas Employer
sponsor you Or the country itself sponsor you. Applicants whose occupations are in
demand usually get bonus points & faster processing. Each country has their specific list
10 Good Reasons Why Choose First Canadian Inc.
- We are the established Market Leaders in overseas careers with company owned and
operated branch in your city. We do not have franchisees. Most of our customers come to
us through word of mouth which we built based on trust and quality over the years.
- We are a one stop shop for all your overseas career needs.
- You get the benefit from our deep and extensive knowledge base which we have
accumulated from processing thousands of cases similar to yours.
- We have a pulse on global trends in careers and immigration and always have updated
information which we share with you through our weekly newsletters and email alerts.
- We have rock solid financial credentials that you would seek in the company when you
would be making an investment of a large sum and the outcome is critical to your life and
- We are system driven and have transparent processes and costs. All our offices are
designed keeping this principle in mind–the reason why you will notice a lot of see
- We conduct business in good faith and you will notice that our agreements are fair and
- We help you search for a job and settle down. Our Job Search Services Department is one
of the strengths of our company
- We have the best consultants in the market who are competent, committed and
experienced. You will notice this yourself.
- We are competitively priced and offer flexible payment options and charge on a success
fee basis. If we don’t deliver, we refund.
For more details please Contact Us
Why should you file your migration petition this month?
Why should you not delay?
Rules may change. Everything has a quota!
Immigration rules are volatile and governments are always debating whether to close the door or
whom to close the door on. Don't take the rules for granted. Apply now when you are eligible!
You may not be eligible, a few months from now.
You save time
If you postpone your decision, you end up in the same career junction even next year. Take a
decision and advance your career right now.
You aren’t growing any younger!
Most countries have an age limit and it gets stricter as you grow older. You may not be eligible
even a year later. And then as you get older, you ability to adjust to new surroundings also
Apply now – you may also earn extra points for age!
Your kids adjust faster when they are younger
Your kids adjust better and learn faster when younger. Remember, this opportunity is for them too.
Better in every way
If you are not married, it will improve your profile and get you a better partner.
It is never a bad thing to hold a PR visa that allows you to work & live overseas.
It is never a bad thing to hold an additional UK, Australia, Germany or Canadian Passport.
No kids? Even better
If you are married and do not have children yet, your kids born inside the country will become
Naturalized Citizens automatically.
You may change your mind
You or your spouse may change your mind later and may miss on something good in your life
and for your children.
Treat your migration petition as an investment for the future – yours and your children. Apply for
it now, watch it mature later. Avail of the benefits all your life.
So, why should you sign up now, because you need to strike when the iron is hot!
First Canadian Inc. PVT. LTD
203-204, VARDHMAN LINZ PLAZA,
B-1 JANAK PURI,
OPP. B-1 DESU OFFICE,
PHONE :0091-11-45509797, +91- 9899999291, +91-9810796030
VISIT US AT : WWW.FIRSTCANADIANINC.COM
E-MAIL : email@example.com
MR. GAURAV SHARMA
First Canadian Inc. PVT. LTD
C/O ILLUMMINATIC IIMIGRATTIONS
18-AX, GURU NANAK TOWER,
MODEL TOWN EXTENSION,
LUDHIANA – 141421
CONTACT : 0161-4611911, 0091-7814110111
E-MAIL : Ludhiana@firstcanadianinc.com ,